Clemente is one of the first master-
planned cities in California.
Ole Hanson came to the site to create
his ideal community, a "Spanish
by the Sea."
In 1927, Hanson built the Casa
as his family home, and expression of
version of the California dream. The
-bedroom, seven-bath house was
by Carl Lindbom, who also designed La
Casa Pacifica (the former Western
Over the years, the house passed
various owners until Lambert and
Schuyler (pronounced Skyler) bought
property in 1946 and named it Casa
Romantica. The ex- Mrs. Fred Waring
orchestra fame) purchased the home in
1952. Four years later, Mrs. Waring
the home to Muriel and Leslie
who named it Casa Blanca after their
In 1960 the property began a new life,
was operated as a senior citizens'
until 1984 by George and Louise Welsh,
who renamed it Casa Romantica.
From 1984 until 2000, the Casa was
to a private business for special events.
San Clemente Redevelopment Agency
purchased the property from the Welsh
Family Partnership in 1989.
Casa Romantica was listed on the
Registry of Historic Places in 1991.